Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Interview with an artist

1. When did you decide to become an artist?
I’d love to say things like “I grew up in a very culture-rich environment” and such, but my love for art started out simply because I was bored most of the time, when I was a kid. I easily got jaded during classes when I was in grade school and I loved daydreaming my time away. Most of the time, I’d put all my dreams on paper…I’d draw myself on clouds with sheep in bowties. Paint the stars green, coming up with reasons as to why we shouldn’t all think they’re yellow or white just because it’s what we see or what storybooks tell us. And I never thought it was something creative people do. I just thought it was a normal thing, because my dad once drew a running mouse as our target for target-shooting sessions in our backyard. I thought everyone was doing it. I’d say most of my talent was innate (which, at that time, I was completely unaware of) and I haven’t really discovered I was an artist until I decided to take up an art-related course for college.

2. Where did you train?
During Hekasi, Math and SocSci. classes. My notebooks served as canvases. My parents weren’t particularly happy about that. Then, when my mom finally noticed that I had a fondness for art, she enrolled me in summer classes with one of the best painters in the Philippines, Fernando Sena, where I learned basic anatomy and composition. But I never stuck to the rules he gave me. My eggplants were sometimes blue and I always thought skin is supposed to be more yellow than pale orange. I can’t say I’ve learned all that I need to be a very successful artist, because I still have a whole lot to learn, especially with today’s technology. There’s always room for improvement in art.

3. How did your training influence you?
It is very important to have a foundation of basic knowledge. The thing I remembered the most during my training under Mr. Sena was the difference in the facial anatomy of a person and a dog. Hahaha. I loved that session!

4. Where do you get your ideas?
From anything and everything around me. And the web! Whoever invented it is a genius!

5. What artist or artists inspired you?
A lot of artists have been inspirations to me! But I guess when it comes to colors, I have Claude Monet to thank for that!

6. Is there symbolic imagery in your work?
Well, not always. And if they do, most of the time they start out as doodles and end up being symbolic when it’s done.

7. What helped to shape you?
Different experiences in life. Sometimes, even if everyone tells you the right thing to do, the only way to truly learn it is from experience. Same with my artworks.

8. How did you decide on the medium you are using now?
Initially, I felt I had to learn digital arts because companies hire artists that know how to use graphic software. And then I discovered you can do pretty much everything you can do with paint and canvas…only you can redo and redo it without having to lose your initial composition. Gotta love Save As. Hahaha.


Got these "blog interview questions for artists" via google.
Have any questions you’d like to ask? I'd be happy to answer them! Just ask away! :)

No comments: